PAGES

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mushroom Appetizer Pies & A Totally Devoured in one sitting Dinner Pie


In honor of the fourth day of Christmas I made Mushroom Appetizer pies. I couldn't find a recipe I really liked, so I combined ideas from a recipe for Mushroom Turnovers on allrecipes.com with a copycat "Mushroom Pies from Trader Joes" recipe to create my own. The result: delicious!




Chop one onion and 8 oz of mushrooms. I used mini portobellos.


Saute the onion until soft and tender in 3 Tbls of butter. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook, stirring, until tender.
Stir in 1/2 tsp salt, 1/8-1/4 tsp Thyme (depending on how much you like Thyme, I used 1/4), and 1/3 c sour cream (I think it'd work well to use more if you prefer it creamier).
Cook until thickened and remove from heat.

Roll dough 1/8" thick and divide into small, appetizer-sized circles using a very small biscuit cutter. Arrange on baking sheet. Fill with a tablespoon of the filling and top this with grated parmesan cheese. Brush the edges with some egg/milk mixture (1 egg beaten with a tsp of cream) and press another circle of dough over the top. Press the edges together to seal.

Brush the tops of the pies with some of the egg/milk mixture so it bakes to a lovely golden. Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.

I served the mushroom appetizer pies with potato cheese soup.

Potato Cheese Soup by Connie
6-8 potatoes
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
1 med onion, diced
chicken broth, enough to cover
1 cube butter
1 block cream cheese
1-2 c cheddar
salt and pepper to taste

Add vegetables to stock pot with enough chicken broth to cover. Bring to a boil and cover, cook until vegetables are soft. Mash well. Add dairy products a bit at a time, stirring until incorporated into the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste


Day Five: Cheesy Burrito Pie
Now this was a huge hit. There was hardly anything left. The recipe is found on allrecipes.com: Burrito Pie. It was easy to make the filling ahead of time and refrigerate it until it was time for supper. Then I assembled the layers and baked.

My son loved it


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Pages