PAGES

Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Flavorful, Cheap, and Healthy Dinner!

Why oh why did I once again forget to take a picture for everyone? Because we were all devouring dinner, that's why! It was that good.

Sure didn't take long to make. Yesterday was a fussy day for my toddler. Perhaps I'll write about that later. So when supper time came around I just didn't feel like I had a ton of energy to fuss with it. I knew what I had on hand, and I knew what I didn't want to eat. After some quick searching I decided on a lentil daal. It's basically stewed lentils well seasoned on rice. I adapted it from two different recipes and will have to make it again. Perhaps often.

Lentil Daal

1 can coconut milk
1 can or 1/4 bag cooked lentils
1-2 tbls red curry
1 tsp red pepper paste
1-2 tsp garam masala (to taste)
1 1/2" sliced minced ginger (you can sub. ground)
3/4 tsp tumeric
1/2 c diced onion
1 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic
1/4 c fresh basil, minced
salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan brown the onion ginger and garlic with the lentils. Add coconut milk and spices. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
Serve over cooked rice.

No comments:

Pages