PAGES

Friday, September 28, 2012

Preschool Kitchen Counter: Making Whoopie Pies (& Recipe)

This month my son was absolutely thrilled by the book Jimmy Zangwow's Out of this World Moon Pie Adventure

Of course after reading it he wanted only one thing: to eat one (or more). Problem was I didn't wan't to go buy a moon pie at the supermarket. I've never cared for the pre packaged type. So I set out with faithful Google on a search for a recipe we could make.

I found more Whoopie pie recipes than moon pies. A moon pie would have the cake/cookie layer made of a graham flour based dough, and be dipped in chocolate. I realized though they are close enough to make do. Then I found a super simple Whoopie pie recipe using cake mix. Great!

 T chose the flavors he wanted and we set to work. They turned out delicious. You can find the recipe here www.grouprecipes.com/103750/whoopie-pies-made-with-boxed-cake-mix.html



First, dump the cake mix into a bowl.

Add your eggs, water, and oil.

Mix. I recommend by hand because then your preschooler can enjoy this part!

Drop a couple tablespoons of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until puffy and toothpick comes out clean.

Make a filling of butter, marshmallow fluff, cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and just a pinch of salt. Spoon onto one of the inverted "moon pies"
Top with another moon pie cookie. T loved smashing them together!

Finished "moon pie" whoopie pies. If you want to make these a little more moon pie like, I recommend melting some dipping chocolate and dipping the pies at this stage to coat them. Let the chocolate coating harden before serving (put them on wire racks since they'll drip!). T made strawberry and banana whoopie pies.

They were so good. I think I'll make these again, for his birthday. Make a nice change from cupcakes!

No comments:

Pages